THAI FISH CAKES
These fish cakes are a perfect match with Bladen Gewurztraminer. They have a lovely bouncy texture and are great served with an Asian dipping sauce or Sweet chilli sauce. I like to use monkish but ling or cod work just as well.
Ingredients (Makes 6)
- 300gm white fish fillets
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cornflour
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped red chilli, seeded
- 2 Tablespoons chopped spring onion
- ½ cup finely sliced green beans
- Oil for frying
- Remove any trace of skin and bone from the fish fillets and cut into small pieces. Put into a food processor fitted with a steel chopping blade and process until smooth.
- Add the red curry paste, fish sauce, cornflour and egg. Process again until well combined. Scrape into a bowl and stir in the red chilli, spring onions and beans.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to 1 cm (1/2 inch) deep. With oiled hand form ¼ cup portions of the mixture into flat round cakes. Cook in hot oil a few at a time over a medium heat until deep golden brown on both sides. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Serve warm or cold with Chilli and Cucumber salad or an Asian dipping sauce.
CHILLI AND CUCUMBER SALAD
A small, relish-type salad to accompany and appetiser. Perfect with fish cakes.
Ingredients (Makes about 2/3 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup of chopped cucumber
- 2 Tablespoons chopped purple shallots
- 1 red chilled, seeded and finely diced
Stir in the sugar with the water until dissolved, then add the remainder of ingredients.